Enjoy Searching This Blog and Beyond

Monday, March 29, 2010

Herbal Wisdom - Violet

Violet - Viola odorata L.

I saw my first violet today with my daughter and we were both so excited!  I have used this plant in so many ways, mainly to decorate and infuse salads with sweet and tangy flavor!  I've eaten the leaves and the flowers in this way. 

Used as an infusion or a tea, the leaves are nutty and delicious.  They are slightly mucilaginous and cooling.  (I can hardly wait!)  The medicinal factors include blood purification,  inflammation and fever reduction, and let's not forget that Violet, like so many other herbal allies, offers an array of vitamins and minerals!

Another way that this plant has been used is to soothe sore breasts during hormonal adventures, including reduction of cysts and tumors.  I have used a salve of Violet to cool my breasts off after the milk came in once my daughter was born and continued to use this treatment for the entire first year.  It was most effective!

I really want to gush over this plant because it is so cute and subtle, but no less powerful.  Please stop and listen to her healing song.  You don't want to miss it!


(image from: www.susunweed.com)
This post has not been reviewed by the FDA and is not meant to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any diseases or illnesses.  Always consult your healthcare provider if you have any health concerns.

No comments:

Post a Comment